Strategy Diaries: Learner Perspective on the Benefits of Communication Strategy Training

Ting, Su Hie (2021) Strategy Diaries: Learner Perspective on the Benefits of Communication Strategy Training. Applied Language Learning, 31 (1-2). pp. 87-105.

[img] PDF
abstract.pdf

Download (60kB)

Abstract

This study examined learner perspectives of the benefits of communication strategy training by analysing strategy diaries written by low English proficiency learners enrolled in an English for Occupational Purposes programme. The communication strategy instruction involved 23 students who were taught 13 lexical, negotiation, and discourse-based communication strategies during the 13- week training. Each session consisted of presentation, rehearsal, and performance stages, and closed with strategy diary writing. The students wrote 117 strategy diary entries related to the learning outcomes of the training sessions. Most diary entries (82.9%) were on English improvement, and the remaining (17.1%) were related to communication strategy use. Further analysis of the strategy-related entries indicated the communication strategies taught during the training helped the students to better explain themselves, increase their vocabulary, and speak more spontaneously. A longitudinal analysis of one student’s diary entries revealed that the student did not develop greater awareness of communication strategies during the training. When the subject matter of the interaction became more technical, his reflection shifted from communicative and language skills to the topic of the lesson and activities. The findings suggest the need to train learners on reflective writing to obtain insights into the learner perspective of learning to use communication strategies.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: strategic competence, communication strategies, strategy diaries, learner perspective, English for Occupational Purposes, low English proficiency
Subjects: P Language and Literature > P Philology. Linguistics
Divisions: Academic Faculties, Institutes and Centres > Faculty of Language Studies & Communication Studies
Depositing User: Hie
Date Deposited: 19 May 2021 03:12
Last Modified: 19 May 2021 03:12
URI: http://ir.unimas.my/id/eprint/35265

Actions (For repository members only: login required)

View Item View Item